Saturday, December 7, 2013

Field Journal #7 - The Foundation of Transportation

Growing up, I was not exposed to Public Transportation much. We grew up in an area where subways and buses weren't an option. Traveling from Point A to Point B meant walking, driving, or biking. It wasn't until high school that I first experienced Public Transportation. Navigating the different routes was quite stressful. How anyone could decipher the different colored lines and route names and numbers was beyond me.
It was complicated and didn't match up with any of the streets I was familiar with. There no curves, contours, or any type distinguish in the shape of the roads; surely not all roads were straight lines! Yet, the more I stared at it, the more it resonated with me, which only caused me to want to understand it more. And that was when the simplicity of the design came out. Henry Beck had sought out to simplify the London Underground. What he did, however, was simplify public transportation around the world. 
I've been to many metropolitan areas and have ridden on many subways. I've been on buses, ferries, trains, and even taxis, that use Beck's simple design as a way to highlight routes and direction. It's almost a universal language at this point, as traveling on subways and trains does not require understanding the native language.

Recently, I've been on multiple school campuses that have begun to adopt parts of Beck's creation: bright colorful lines painted on the blacktop to show kids where to line up, and where to walk when it's time to walk. Surely, Beck did not see this coming when he sought out to simply his local life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment