Saturday, December 7, 2013

Field Journal #6 - The Future


One topic that stood out to me immediately was the concept of Futurism from Italy. It was a movement that glorified technology, speed, youth, and in many cases, violence and war, which was the interesting part for me. Before I read about futurism in text, I always imagined Futurism to be more dystopian; whether than mean war torn and ravaged, and slow, methodical, and bleak. Futurism in it's early forms was almost definitely not that. It's not "Blade Runner" or "Total Recall" or even "The Hunger Games". Rather, it was fast paced, industrial, and chaotic, yet controlled with boundaries. In my mind, I imagine Futurism to be flying cars, loud music, youth spray painting walls in bright colors, and then, out of nowhere, a loud explosion followed by a burst of violence; yet no one reacts to the explosion or violence, and carries on in their natural way. Maybe, it is a dystopian view, after all?
This image here represents Futurism to me... Lots of angles in the shapes, and colors that give the perception of speed and movement, and a subject, that at the time, was very futuristic:


No comments:

Post a Comment